Thursday, January 01, 2009

I'm so glad this wasn't MY wedding....



And I suspect other clergy will immediately empathize. I've had some strange things happen at weddings where I've been the officiant, often around the rings. One of my best moments was when a ring flew loose from the pillow where it had been tied, and I reached out and snatched it in mid-air like it was something I did every day, and handed it to the bride to place upon the groom's finger. And I've also been the victim of a practical joke, where the best man pretended to have forgotten the ring, and all of the attendants pretended to check their pockets until it was finally "discovered" at the end of the line. A very funny moment (and fortunately, they were my friends), but a challenge then to pull the service back to the proper level of solemnity before I pronounced them husband and wife.

And perhaps my best wedding story ever (again, for friends) -- officiating at a wedding for two white water rafting guides on a rock in the middle of the Skykomish River above Goldbar in Washington State. The plan was to pronounce them husband and wife, and put them in a raft to float down to the reception a few miles away, while the rest of us drove ahead to meet them for their big entrance as a married couple. Unfortunately, in the middle of August the water in the river was very low; HOURS later they finally arrived to greet their now-well-lubricated guests with the story of their journey -- "float fifty yards, then pull it over the rocks; float another fifty yards...." Yep Steve, That's Marriage! -- for better, for worse; for richer, for poorer; in sickness and in health; in sorrow and in joy.... At least you guys were dressed for the occasion.

Here's the URL for the video, just in case the embed isn't working....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga-ULeG09QY

2 comments:

Diptherio said...

My sister's husband pulled the same "lost ring" stunt at their wedding this last October. I thought it was pretty funny, but apparently not entirely original. Love the clip. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Yup, those well-lubricated weddings are not the best. I once had a bridal party so late that I made up a "one-drink-and-one-drink-only, not-one-per-whatever-minutes, I-mean-one-drink" rule for the waiting wedding party. It was a hot day and a beautiful state park -- I didn't feel like a grinch at all.

Happy New Year, from one EC to another.